Wine Braised Roast
3 lb Free Raised® Grass Fed American Beef roast of your choice
Kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs olive oil
2 medium onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 Tbs tomato paste
4 sprigs fresh thyme
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 bay leaves
2 cups dry red wine
1 cup beef or chicken stock
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cups red potatoes, quartered
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Pat beef dry and rub all over with 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof, 5-quart, heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until hot (but not smoking) and brown beef on all sides, about 15 minutes total.
- Add all remaining ingredients to pot.
- Cover and braise in oven, turning after first hour. Cook until beef is very
tender, approximately 2.5 to 3 hours.If pot gets dry during cooking, add
more stock as needed.
- Once beef is cooked and tender, let rest uncovered for 15 minutes, cut into individual-size portions and top with vegetables and wine.