Truffled Veal Liver Mousse Pâté with Port Wine
1 lb of thawed Strauss Veal or Free Raised® Grass Fed Liver Slices
1 stick of butter (good quality pasture-raised, organic or European style butter preferred)
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
1-1/2 tsp of kosher salt
1/4 tsp of fresh ground pepper
1/3 cup of imported Port wine (has to be imported Port)
1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp of white or black truffle oil (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add 1/2 stick of butter. Once butter has melted, add chopped onion, thyme, and crushed garlic. Sauté until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add liver, salt, and pepper. Simmer over medium heat until cooked through; then add the Port wine. You may want to increase the temperature in order to speed up the time needed to reduce the port wine.
- Cook until wine is reduced and almost all cooked off.
- Turn heat to low or remove skillet from heat, remove thyme sprigs, and add ½ stick of butter. When melted, take everything in a pan and remove to a food processor and add Worcestershire sauce and truffle oil.
- Process until completely smooth – about 5 minutes. Spoon pureed liver a little at a time into a metal mesh strainer – using a spatula, push pureed liver through a strainer in small batches. Spoon strained pureed liver into a small bowl or serving dish – refrigerate until chilled or overnight. Serve with crackers, baguette slices, and fruit compotes. Enjoy!