Strauss Veal Scallopini with Olives and Artichoke Tapenade
Tapenade (can be prepared in advance)
1 cup frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, medium chopped (4 oz.)
1/2 cup roasted red pepper from a jar, medium chopped (2 oz.)
3 Tbs pitted Kalamata olives, cut in half
6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 Tbs fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 Tbs red onion, finely chopped, rinsed in hot water and drained well
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
Kosher or sea salt, to taste
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 tsp dried thyme
1 lb veal scallopini/cutlets, 1/8-inch thick and pounded on both sides
3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
Lemon wedges for garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, olives, basil, parsley, red onion and lemon juice.
- Cover with plastic wrap; set aside. Serve at room temperature.
- Pre-heat grill or grill pan to medium high.
- Season each cutlet with thyme, salt and pepper on both sides.
- Coat both sides of each cutlet with olive oil.
- Brush grill rack or grill pan with olive oil.
- Grill each cutlet over medium-high heat for approximately 1 to 2 minutes per side. Be careful not to overcook.
- Transfer grilled cutlets to plates, top with olive-artichoke tapenade, and garnish with a fresh lemon wedge and enjoy!