Port Wine Sauce
This is one of my family’s favorite sauces. It is extremely easy and one that is sure to please again and again. -Diane Strauss
2 oz Strauss Glace de Veau Roasted Veal Stock Reduction
2 cups of Port wine, imported, not domestic (the Port does not have to be expensive but it does have to be imported)
1/4 cup dry red wine, such as a cabernet
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
6 Tbs cold butter, cut into pats
Kosher or sea salt, to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place sauce pan over medium heat. Add all ingredients except butter and salt and pepper.
- Let simmer lightly over medium heat. Reduce heat if liquid starts boiling too hard.
- Let simmer until liquid is reduced by at least half and the consistency is like maple syrup, which may take up to one hour.
- Can be prepared up to this step in advance. Store in tightly lidded container in the refrigerator for up to one month. Return to stove and heat to a light simmer before proceeding to next step.
- After liquid has been reduced to the right consistency, remove from heat and whisk in butter pats.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.