Herb and Mustard Crusted Lamb Roast with Sweet Potatoes and Sage
Ingredients for Lamb Roast:
1 leg of lamb roast
6 cloves garlic, peeled
4 oz anchovy filets drained approximately 3 Tbs
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup roughly chopped fresh mint
¼ cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
¼ cup roughly chopped fresh chives
1 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary, leaves only
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
½ tsp Kosher or sea salt
Ingredients for Potatoes:
6 medium-sized sweet potatoes cut into quarters, lengthwise
1/4 cup olive oil
1 bunch of fresh sage, leaves only
Kosher or sea salt
Fresh ground pepper
Method for Lamb Roast:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven so the lamb will sit in the middle of the oven.
- Put garlic, anchovies, mustard, honey, lemon juice and olive oil in food processor; process until smooth.
- Add fresh chopped herbs and ground pepper; pulse until well combined and herbs are finely chopped.
- Put lamb roast into large ziplock bag and pour marinade over the roast.
- Distribute and rub marinade all over the roast while it’s in the bag.
- Put roast in the refrigerator and marinade for 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes to 1 hour before roasting to allow the roast to come to room temperature before cooking.
Method for Potatoes:
- Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil; add sage leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Put seasoned potatoes on the bottom of a large roasting pan.
- Place lamb roast on top of the potatoes and pour any remaining marinade on top of the roast.
- Cook for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature of the lamb is 130 degrees for medium rare and 140 for medium.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cover it tightly with aluminum foil.
- Allow the lamb to rest for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- The roast will continue to cook as it rests, and the internal temperature should raise another 5 degrees. Slice the lamb and serve it with the potatoes.