Veal Osso Buco with Red Potatoes and Crimini Mushrooms
4 veal shanks (¾ to 1 lb each) tied with butcher twine
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbs unsalted butter
2 celery stalks, sm dice
1 sm yellow onion, sm dice
3 carrots, sm dice
12 cloves garlic, peeled
2 cups crimini mushrooms, quartered
2 Tbs tomato paste (optional)
1½ cups white or red wine
1 cinnamon stick
3 whole cloves
3 bay leaves
6 sprigs thyme
3 sprigs rosemary
2 cups sm red salad potatoes, quartered
3½ cups beef or chicken stock
Kosher or sea salt, to taste
Cracked black pepper, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped
2 Tbs lemon zest, minced
- Heat oven to 325º.
- Make the gremolata by mixing minced garlic, minced lemon zest and chopped parsley together.
- Set aside gremolata for garnish.
- Season veal shanks with salt and black pepper, then dredge in flour, shake off excess.
- Place a medium-sized braising pan over medium-high heat.
- Add half of olive oil (¼ cup) to the pan and heat until smoking.
- Add veal shanks to the pan and sauté on all sides until browned, 7 minutes.
- Add 1 Tbsp of butter at end.
- Remove shanks. Discard butter/oil. Add remaining ¼ cup olive oil.
- Add celery, onion, carrots and whole garlic to pan. Reduce heat to medium and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, mix well, and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine, cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and potatoes. Reduce wine by half, add stock. Reduce heat to medium-low. Bring to simmer, add shanks, cover pan loosely with foil, place in oven. (Slow cooker option: put all into slow cooker and cook according to slow cooker directions.)
- Cook shanks 1½–2 hours in the oven, turning every 25 minutes. Remove foil for last 15 minutes. Veal is done when tender and pulls away from bone easily. Remove from oven, remove shanks from liquid to a warm serving platter.
- Place pan back over medium heat, reduce liquid in pan if necessary. Remove bay leaf, cinnamon and cloves from sauce. Season sauce with salt and black pepper. Finish with remaining butter. Pour sauce and vegetables over shanks.
- Sprinkle the gremolata over the Osso Buco and serve. Enjoy!