Veal Chops with Pepper-Pear Relish
For best results, do not prepare relish in advance.
4 veal loin or rib chops, cut 1 inch thick (approx. 8 ounces each)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp coarse grind black pepper
Cilantro sprigs (optional)
Lemon twists (optional)
1 Tbs olive oil
1 large each red and green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (approx. 1 cup each)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 Tbs minced, seeded, jalapeño pepper
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
1 medium pear, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (approx. 1 cup)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 Tbs packed brown sugar
1 tsp freshly grated lemon peel
1 tsp salt
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add bell peppers, onion, jalapeño pepper and ginger. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in pear, 1/4 cup lemon juice, brown sugar, lemon peel and 1/2 tsp salt. Simmer 5 minutes or until pear is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in remaining 2 Tbs lemon juice and chopped cilantro
- Meanwhile place veal chops on rack in broiler pan so surface of meat is 4 inches from heat. Broil 14 to 16 minutes for medium doneness, turning once.
- Arrange chops on warm platter; season with salt and pepper. Spoon relish over chops, then garnish with cilantro sprigs and lemon twists, if desired.