This stew can be made with Strauss veal or lamb stew meat, Free Raised® Grass Fed beef stew or any combination of the three.
2 lbs veal, lamb and/or beef stew, cut into desired sized pieces
1/3 all-purpose flour (may substitute cornstarch or potato flour for gluten-free version)
4 Tbsp olive oil or bacon fat
1 package peeled pearl onions or 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (if using pearl onions, blanch in boiling water for one minute to easily remove skins)
3 large cloves garlic, minced
4 oz Strauss Free Raised® Glace de Veau (you can substitute 1/2 c chicken stock for Glace de Veau – but stew will be less rich and decadent)
2 cups red dry wine
3 sprigs fresh thyme or 3 sprigs fresh basil
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 cup shalved crimini or shiitake mushrooms (combination is nice too)
1 lb small fingerling potatoes or small red potatoes, halved lengthwise
1 cup frozen peas, thawed (optional)
Kosher or sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Preheat ovenproof stockpot or Dutch oven on top of stove over medium heat.
- Season veal stew with salt and pepper. Lightly coat stew meat with flour. Shake off excess. Add 2 Tbs olive oil to hot pan and allow oil or bacon fat to heat through. Sauté half of stew meat until browned. Remove and set aside. Add remaining 2 Tbs oil or bacon fat. Repeat with remaining stew meat. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic and mushrooms to pot; sauté for a few minutes. Watch and stir as needed. Add veal, thyme, basil and bay leaf; bring to a simmer. Cover and place in pre-heated oven.
- Let cook for 1 hour; then add potatoes. Let cook for another hour after adding potatoes or until potatoes and veal are fork-tender.
- Mix in peas (optional). Serve and enjoy!
- Omit potatoes and serve alongside potato puree or creamy polenta.
- Add baby carrots when adding potatoes if desired