Strauss Veal Scallopini on Baby Asparagus, Topped with Sautéed and Baked Apples and Mascarpone Sauce
1 rosemary sprig, roughly chopped, reserving some sprigs for garnish
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided (4 Tbsp + 4 Tbsp)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 lbs veal scallopini, thinly sliced (1/8-inch)
2 Tbs unsalted butter
2 red apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
2/3 cup (4 oz) dry white wine
3/4 cup (3-1/2 oz) mascarpone cheese
2 lbs thin asparagus, blanched
- Rub veal with olive oil, salt, pepper and oil on both sides.
- Sprinkle veal with rosemary and garlic on one side. Roll up, place in zip-lock bag. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Scrape off the rosemary and garlic from veal slices.
- Sauté or grill veal, turning to lightly brown on both sides, and set aside.
Apples and Sauce
- In a large, oven-proof frying pan, heat 2 Tbs of remaining olive oil and the butter over medium heat. Add the apple slices and cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden on both sides. Put the pan in a 375°F. oven and bake for about 5 minutes. Remove apple slices from oven, transfer apple slices from pan, and set aside. Place pan over medium-high heat.
- Add wine and simmer until the wine has reduced by half. Add mascarpone and gently simmer, stirring, for a minute.
- Return apple slices to the pan, transfer pan to the oven, and bake for about 5 minutes.
- To serve, place some of the blanched asparagus on a plate. Place veal slice on top of the asparagus; top with apple slices. Drizzle with mascarpone sauce and garnish with a small rosemary sprig.