Steak with Caramelized Onion and Garlic Butter
Ingredients for Steaks and Marinade
4 Free-Raised® grass-fed beef steaks (flank, porterhouse, rib eye, sirloin, strip or tenderloin)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 whole sprigs fresh rosemary and/or basil
Crushed black pepper, to taste
Caramelized Onion Garlic Butter
6 cloves of fresh peeled garlic
1 small yellow onion sliced
1 cup dry red wine
1 stick of room temperature butter
½ tsp of coarsely ground fresh pepper
Method for Marinade:
- Roughly chop herbs and put into a large Ziploc bag. Add crushed garlic, olive oil, and pepper. Next, add steaks to the bag and coat them well with herb marinade. Refrigerate in bag 2 hours to overnight.
Method for Caramelized Onion Garlic Butter:
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, toss garlic cloves with a little olive oil. Wrap garlic cloves in aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until soft and golden brown.
- Preheat a sauté pan over low heat. Lightly coat bottom of pan with olive oil. Once oil is hot, add the sliced onions and continue to sauté over low heat until soft and light brown. This will take about 20 minutes. Then add 1 cup of dry red wine to the onions and continue to sauté until all the wine has evaporated. Total cooking time should be approximately 30 minutes. You can sauté and carmelize onions while the garlic is roasting. Let garlic and onions cool before continuing. This step can be done in advance and the caramelized onions and roasted garlic can then be refrigerated for later use.
- In a food processor, combine onions and garlic. Process until smooth. Add room temperature butter and pepper. Continue to process until mixture is smooth. Top steaks with a dollop of this savory butter. Unused butter can be used on top of any meat or vegetables. *Double this recipe and you will have an amazing savory butter in your fridge for future delights.
- Remove marinated chops from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat skillet on medium until hot. Remove chops from bag and salt to taste.
- Place chops in hot skillet and cook to desired doneness (about 5 to 7 minutes per side). Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Remove chops from refrigerator for 30 minutes before grilling. Heat grill on medium until hot. Remove chops from bag and salt to taste.
- Place chops on grill pre-heated to medium and cook to desired doneness (about 5 to 7 minutes per side). Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
When using either cooking method (stovetop or grilling), you may want to brown your steak on top of the stove or on the grill for a few minutes per side and then finish in a pre-heated oven at 350° until the internal temperature reaches desired doneness.