Scaloppine di Vitello con Carciofi (Veal Scallopini with Artichokes)
24 oz veal scallopini, 12 each 2 oz pieces
As needed Flour for dusting
2 fl. oz Olive oil
1 Garlic clove, minced
8 Artichoke hearts (jar is fine)
1 small can Whole peeled tomatoes, drained, seeded, rinsed and chopped
4 fl. oz White wine or Vermouth
8 fl. oz Veal stock (can substitute beef stock or broth)
2 oz Butter, cubed (1/2 stick)
2 Tbs Fresh chopped parsley
As needed, Salt and pepper
- Put veal cutlets between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound well with smooth side of meat mallet or back side of small heavy pan. Pound cutlets until 1/8 inch thick.
- Season the veal with salt and pepper and dust with flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and sear the veal on both sides. Remove from the pan.
- In same skillet, add the garlic and sauté over medium heat, until lightly golden.
- Add the tomato fillets and artichoke hearts and sauté briefly.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and reduce by half.
- Add the veal stock and simmer to reduce slightly.
- Add the butter cubes and allow to thicken the sauce while it reduces. Return the veal to the pan at this point and allow to gently braise in the low simmering liquid.
- After simmering the veal for about 3 minutes, place 3 pieces of veal onto each plate.
- Check the sauce consistency, reducing more if needed and then add the chopped parsley, pepper and salt to taste.
- Divide the artichoke hearts evenly among the plates, placing over top of the veal and pour an equal amount of sauce onto each plate.
- Add your favorite starch and / or vegetable to the plate to create a full meal.