Mexican Stuffed Zucchini
1 lb Strauss Free Raised® Grass Fed Beef or Veal or combination of both
4 medium zucchini
1 Tbs olive oil
1 cup fresh pico de gallo or:
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped tomato
¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 jalapeño pepper finely chopped (remove seeds first if you want less heat)
1-2 large garlic cloves finely chopped or through garlic press
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano or 1 tsp fresh oregano
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz shredded cheese, such as Mexican Oaxaca or other favorite melting cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cut the zucchini in half length-wise. Scoop out seeds and flesh so that there is a 1/4- to 1/2-inch shell or boat remaining. Set aside.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbs of olive oil to preheated skillet. Let oil get warm. Add all ingredients except cheese to skillet.
4. Break ground meat apart while sautéing. Continue to cook until onions are translucent and meat is cooked through. Remove from heat. Let mixture cool.
5. Stir half of the shredded cheese into the cooled meat mixture.
6. Fill zucchini boats with meat mixture.
7. Top with remaining shredded cheese.
8. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the meat mixture is heated through, the zucchini is tender, and the cheese is melted and bubbly on top.