Mediterranean Greek Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce
Ingredients for Tzatziki:
1 cup plain Greek yogurt, whole milk variety preferred
2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 clove of garlic, finely minced or through garlic press
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
1 Tbs chopped fresh mint
Ingredients for Burgers:
1 lb ground lamb
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1 Tbs finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp dried Greek oregano
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp dried crushed rosemary
2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped or through a garlic press
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 tsp Kosher or sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Fresh sliced tomatoes (optional)
Method for Tzatziki:
- In a medium bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well and whisk in yogurt.
- Add the cucumber and chopped fresh mint.
- Chill before serving.
Method for Burgers:
- In a bowl, mix onions, lamb, mustard, herbs, spices, garlic, salt and pepper. Form into four burgers; set aside.
- Grill or sauté burgers, turning once, until browned and cooked to desired doneness.
- Place sliced tomatoes and a dollop of tzatziki sauce on top of each cooked burger. They can be served on pita bread or a traditional burger bun.