Liver with Port Wine Reduction
Try this with recipe with Strauss Free Raised® Grass Fed Beef or Veal Liver slices!
4 – 4 oz Strauss Free Raised® Grass Fed Beef or Veal liver slices
1 oz olive oil (2 Tbs)
4 oz Port wine (1/2 cup)
2 oz red wine (1/4 cup)
4 oz Strauss Glace de Veau
2 Tbs butter
1 Tbs minced shallots
All-purpose flour, for dusting liver, optional
Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Heat large heavy stainless steel sauté pan or cast iron pan over med-high heat.
- Add half of oil to pan.
- Season liver with salt and pepper. Dust with flour if desired.
- When oil starts to smoke, add 2 liver slices. Saute each liver slice for approximately 2 minutes per side, until edges are brown. Remove from pan and reserve sauted slices to the side on a warm plate. Repeat with the remaining 2 slices. Discard oil from pan.
- Add 1 Tbs of butter to pan along with shallots and sauté about 30 seconds.
- Deglaze pan with Port and red wine (be careful to watch for flames from alcohol!). Reduce wine by half. Add Glace de Veau to wine and reduce by half again.
- Remove from heat, stir in remaining butter, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve slices with potato puree, top with sauce.