Lamb Ragu Puttanesca
Prep Time : 30 minutes
Cook Time : 2 hours
2 Tbs olive oil
6 lamb shanks
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups diced onion
2 Tbs chopped garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup dry white wine
1 Tbs anchovy paste
- Heat oil in an ovenproof pot over high heat. Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper. Brown shanks on all sides; remove from pot and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Drain off all but 2 Tbs of fat from pot. Add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add wine, anchovy paste, capers and olives; simmer until the liquid has almost evaporated. Add the stock and tomatoes, stirring to combine all ingredients.
- Add the shanks back to the pot. Bring to a boil on the stovetop before covering tightly and placing in oven.
- Turn the lamb shanks after 1 hour; cover and place back in the oven for 1 more hour, or until meat is tender enough to fall off the bone.
- Remove shanks from braising liquid and set aside to cool.
- When shanks are cool enough to handle, shred the meat, discarding excess fat and the bone.
- Add the meat back to the braising liquid, stirring to combine. Warm gently over low heat. Serve with rigatoni pasta. Garnish with chopped parsley and feta sprinkled on each portion.