Island Lamb Teriyaki Sticks
2 lbs boneless lamb leg or shoulder, cut into strips, 1-inch wide, 1/2-inch thick
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp sesame seeds
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
24 water chestnuts
24 pineapple chunks
24 cherry tomatoes
12-inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- Place strips of lamb in shallow dish. In bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, oil, vinegar, garlic, sesame seeds, ginger and salt; reserve 1/4 cup marinade for basting.
- Pour remaining marinade over lamb.
- Cover and refrigerate meat for 4 to 12 hours, turning occasionally.
- To assemble teriyaki sticks, remove meat from marinade and discard marinade.
- Thread lamb strips on bamboo skewers accordion-fashion alternately with water chestnuts, pineapple chunks and cherry tomatoes.
- Grill over medium-hot coals.
- Cook 4 inches above coals for 6 to 8 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, brushing occasionally with marinade.
- Turn teriyaki sticks frequently during cooking time. Serve immediately.