Fettine di Filetto di Vitello con Prosciutto (Veal Tenderloin with Prosciutto)
The Veal tenderloin can be substituted with any small 1-2# size roast cut either from the top round or sirloin butt if the tenderloin and loin are unavailable.
Veal and Sauce
20 oz Strauss Free Raised® Veal tenderloin or loin, boneless (1 piece)
4 each Prosciutto slices, paper thin
1 fl. oz Olive oil
8 oz Wild mushrooms, assorted (cleaned and rough cut)
1 each Leek, dark ends removed (washed and diced)
2 each Shallots, minced
4 fl. oz White wine or Vermouth
8 fl. oz Veal stock (can substitute beef stock or broth)
2 oz Butter, cubed (1/2 stick)
2 Tbs Fresh chopped parsley
Salt and pepper as needed
- Season the roast with salt and pepper lightly and wrap in the slices of prosciutto covering the entire exterior surface.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and sear the roast on all sides.
- Remove the roast to a cookie sheet and finish in the oven 375°F, about 5-7 minutes, ideal internal temperature to be 130°F.
- In same skillet, add the shallots and caramelize over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté briefly, and then add the mushrooms.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and reduce by half.
- Add the veal stock and simmer to reduce slightly.
- Add the butter cubes and allow to thicken the sauce while it reduces.
- Add the chopped parsley and salt to taste.
- When the roast is removed from the oven, allow to rest for about 5-7 minutes before slicing.
- Pour an equal amount of sauce onto each plate and place the slices of prosciutto wrapped veal on top in a spiral pattern. Odd numbers always look better for presentation.
- Add your favorite starch and/or vegetable to the plate to create a full meal.