3 lbs Free Raised® Grass Fed Beef stew meat
1 onion, diced large
3 carrots, peeled and diced large
2 celery stalks, diced large
1/3 lb crimini mushrooms, washed and quartered
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 lb bacon, diced large
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 stick of butter (4 tbsp)
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs fresh thyme
Kosher or sea salt
Fresh-ground black pepper
1/4 cup flour (optional)
1 bottle dry red wine, 750 ml
1 quart chicken or veal stock
4 oz Strauss Free Raised®
Glace de Veau Roasted Veal Stock Reduction (optional)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup tomato paste
- Preheat large, heavy stock pot over medium heat.
- Add oil, and once it is hot, sear meat.
- Season meat with salt and pepper while searing.
- Once meat is browned, remove it and discard oil. Add bacon and cook until rendered, about 5 minutes.
- Add butter, onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms; sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook a few minutes.
- Add mustard and tomato paste; cook a couple of minutes. Add flour and cook a couple of minutes.
- Add red wine, bring to simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, Free Raised® Glace de Veau (optional), bay leaf and thyme
and bring to simmer.
- Lower heat and lightly simmer, uncovered, until the meat is tender, about 2 to 2.5 hours.