Barbecue-Pulled Lamb Shank
Prep Time : 15 minutesRoast Time : 2 hours
2 Tbs olive oil
4 lamb foreshanks
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 yellow onions, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
4 cups fat-free chicken broth
2 tsp dried oregano leaves, crushed
3/4 cup prepared barbecue sauce
6 crusty rolls
- In large skillet, heat oil over high heat.
- Pat shanks dry with paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Brown shanks on all sides.
- Place shanks in a roasting pan. Add onion, chicken broth and oregano. Roast in oven for 2 hours, turning shanks every 30 minutes.
- When meat is done, remove from broth and cool.
- Strain broth, reserving onions. Reserve 1/4 cup of broth. Refrigerate or freeze remaining broth for use in soups or stews.
- Remove meat from bones; shred meat, removing fat.
- In pan combine pulled lamb, barbecue sauce and 2 Tbs to 1/4 cup reserved broth if needed. Heat, stirring to combine sauce and lamb.
- Split rolls and spoon meat onto each one.