Adam Siegel’s Potato Puree
Prep Time : 20 minutes
Cook Time : 30 minutes
1 lb Idaho potatoes
1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes
6 garlic cloves, peeled
8 oz cream
8 oz half & half
4 oz butter
Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Peel potatoes and remove eyes. Cut potatoes in quarters lengthwise. Cover with cold water in a pot that will hold the potatoes easily. Add the garlic cloves and 1 tsp of salt. Place over high heat until simmering. Turn heat down but keep simmering.
- Heat the milk and cream together and gently bring them to a simmer. Reduce heat; keep mixture covered and hot.
- Cut the butter into small cubes. Set aside.
- Simmer the potatoes uncovered until tender and completely cooked. Strain off water.
- Place the potatoes and garlic back into the pot and keep over low heat. With a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth. Season them lightly with salt and pepper and begin adding the hot cream mixture slowly, using a wooden spoon to mix in.
- Add the butter, a few cubes at a time, until completely incorporated. Hold the potatoes to the side in a warm place or oven. Potato puree can be prepared in advance and reheated over double boiler.